I love fall and winter clothes with all the layers, fabrics, shoes, and accessories. It’s a good thing too, since I live in the Midwest, and we experience some form of winter for at least half the year.
I’m especially looking forward to my closet this season as pregnancy has prevented me from wearing almost all of my wardrobe. I’ve been living in a few pairs of yoga pants, riding boots, and a limited rotation of shirts and oversized sweaters for the past few months and am looking forward to putting new outfits together soon!
I’ll be the first to admit I don’t wear a lot of color in the winter-mostly a mixture of blacks, grays, furs, and dark colored denim. I seem to save all of my color for the spring and summer, with bright dresses or white denim paired with a patterned top. One of my favorite things about winter clothes is the ability to add a layer, change up a boot, or switch a scarf or accessory and make it look like a new outfit.
There are some things I believe are worth the splurge: boots and booties, a leather jacket, and skinny jeans that fit just right.
And then there are the items you can rotate each season and save on: scarves, blouses, tees, and other layering pieces.
Here are some of my favorites for this season:
1. Faux Fur Vest: I’ve been living in this already this season. It can be made both casual and dressy, and is warm and stylish.
2. Keyhole blouse. I love this blouse tucked in this camel skirt and the tie detail on top.
3. Perfect Tee. This colorblock long sleeve tee is not only comfy, but great for weekend errands.
4. Colored Denim. I’ll admit-I bought this same pair of colored denim in every color-green, purple, burgundy, navy, black, and white. They’re really affordable and a great pop of color to any outfit.
5. Dark Wash Skinny Jeans. THE best skinny jeans I’ve found. I live in mine.
6. Riding Boots. Yes, they’re expensive. Yes, they’re worth it. I bought my Tory Burch riding boots three seasons ago in both camel and black and they still look and fit incredible. A great pair of boots that you invest in once is WAY better than buying new each season.
7. Booties. Same goes for booties. I found my Frye booties this fall at TJ Maxx and the quality, color, and fit are incredible. I’d recommend the splurge to anyone.
8. Tweed Dress. I love tweed for winter! Pair a tweed jacket with skinny jeans and pumps, or a tweed skirt, blouse, and over the knee boots, or stick with a dress. (Zara is also a great resource for anything tweed, at a great price!)
9. Cape. I’m loving this ivory cape and thinking of pairing it with skinny jeans, riding boots, and an oxford or any layering tee underneath.
10. Scarves. Blanket scarves and every day scarves can add a lot to an otherwise plain outfit. I love the traditional plaid patterns that J.Crew has.
11. Floppy Hat. You can easily transition a fall floppy hat to winter, just stick to a dark color like black, camel, or maroon.
12. Striped Tee. I live in stripes year round. This is one of those items you can save on and can be paired with so many different outfit combinations.